The last post we made discussed the role of teams and groups within an organisation and whether you can get a group of people to behave as a team quickly and effectively.
This post is about teams specifically and is based on an intuitive list of questions we use when first looking at a team. The 5 questions are:
- Does the team know it’s purpose?
- Does the team know what achieving that purpose will look like? (Do they know what success is?)
- Do the individuals within the team know how they contribute to achieving that purpose?
- Does the team know the rules of engagement?
- Does the team know what they will get for delivering their purpose?
That may seem a simplistic list, but you’d be surprised how many teams in very effective and successful organisations can’t answer them all yes.